Wednesday, November 7, 2012

jewish apple cake.

I have a Grandma Barbie. She's actually one of the best people in the world. She sends me packages for every "unimportant" holiday. Recently, she's been really into sending popcorn--I shall not complain. But usually these packages contain socks that go with the holiday--I shall not complain. 

I love my grandma crazy town amounts. I have her cheeks, her love of collecting, her desire to have fun. She tried to get me to part my hair on the side before it was cool, she used to bring me happy meals when I stayed home sick, and this year for Halloween, she dressed up as a bumblebee. We get along. She's why every important person in my life is nicknamed -insert name-face. Nicoleface, Kevinface, Mommyface. Everyone.

She's where my Jewish heritage comes from. So I dedicate this apple cake to her. Also, Hanukkah's coming up and I'm really getting into the spirit. 



Vegan Jewish Apple Cake

3 apples: peeled, cored, and cubed
1 Tbs cinnamon
2 1/2 Tbs sugar

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/2 cup non-dairy milk mixed with 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar (or the equivalent of two egg replacements)
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 8x8 cake pan

Toss together apples, cinnamon, and sugar. Set aside. In one bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, oil, and vanilla. Mix wet ingredients into dry and then add egg replacements. Mix until combined. 

Pour half the batter into the cake pan and spread evenly. Arrange half the apples on top. Pour other half of batter into pan and add the second half of the apples on top of that. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick, inserted, comes out clean.

Dust top with powdered sugar if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment