Saturday, July 28, 2012

"yer basic" granola.

If granola eating and/or making was an Olympic sport, I'd win the bronze medal. Give me a few more years, and I'll be on the top of those tiers waving my American flag and singing the anthem. If granola making and/or eating was an Olympic sport.

But it's not. I'll just make it. Granola is the best ever because you can literally put anything you want in it. Seriously, friends. I challenge you to go crazy in the experimenting area. You're going to go make it right now, right? You're not going to buy granola at the grocery store anymore, right?



Not only will I give you a recipe, but I'll also give you some things to ponder while you're waiting for your granola to be done. 

1. Wash your dishes. Oh, you don't pay for water and can therefore indulge in the use of a dishwasher? Whatever.
2. Plan some crafts for your next crafternoon. I'm going to make these earrings ASAP
3. Run over to Zumbro Cafe in Linden Hills, Minneapolis and eat some oatmeal.

4. Listen to Joni Mitchell forever.
5. Admire the fact that you have three 24 qt containers of blueberries in your refrigerator. 

I realize these things only apply to myself. Just make the 'nola, plz.

Basic Granola Recipe

3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 tsp cinnamon (plus whatever other spices you want)
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 cups nuts or seeds (I did almonds, cashews, and sunflower seeds)
1/2 cup liquid sweetener (honey, maple syrup, agave, whathaveyou)
1/2 cup oil (I use applesauce as a substitute for half of the oil)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup dried fruit (stirred in after baking)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Stir together oats, spices, salt, and seeds.

Add liquid sweetener, oil, and vanilla.

Spread out evenly on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper and bake for 40 minutes, stirring once in the middle of baking time.

Let cool on baking sheet, stir in dried fruit, and store in an airtight container.



No comments:

Post a Comment